Sunday 9 May 2010

Mother's Day - Open thread


Not all mothers are wonderful. Some of us were fortunate and can think of our mothers as friends, as the woman who would protect us at all costs. Some mothers are too serious, others are funny. They're all human, with flaws and qualities.

We have many examples of famous fantastic mothers and of the not so fantastic. We are wired to love our mothers, but not all mothers are wired to love their children.

Let's have some humour to celebrate Mother's Day. It will raise a smile even for those of us who don't have reasons to celebrate.


A teacher gave her class of second graders a lesson on the magnet and what it does. The next day in a written test, she included this question: "My full name has six letters. The first one is M. I pick up things. What am I?" When the test papers were turned in, the teacher was astonished to find that almost 50 percent of the students answered the question with the word Mother-

***

Three sons left home, went out on their own and prospered. Getting back together, they discussed the gifts they were able to give their elderly mother.

The first said, "I built a big house for our mother."

The second said," I sent her a Mercedes with a driver."

The third smiled and said, "I've got you, both beat. You know how Mom enjoys the Bible, and you know she can't see very well. I sent her a brown parrot that can recite the entire Bible. It took 20 monks in a monastery 12 years to teach him. I had to pledge to contribute $100,000.00 a year for 10 years, but it was worth it. Mom just has to name the chapter and verse, and the parrot will recite it."

Soon thereafter, Mom sent out her letters of thanks: "Milton," she wrote the first son, "The house you built is so huge. I live in only one room, but I have to clean the whole house."

"Marvin," she wrote to another, "I am too old to travel. I stay home all the time, so I never use the Mercedes. And the driver is so rude!"

"Dearest Melvin," she wrote to her third son, "You were the only son to have the good sense to know what your mother likes. That chicken was delicious."

Good mothers?







The discussion will inevitably revolve around a certain person, whose mothering skills are very debatable...

Please take a moment to cast your vote on who you'd rather have as a mom.
.

No comments: