Thursday, 16 April 2009
Rex Butler, Levi Johnston's attorney
Levi Johnston's lawyer is bristling at suggestions from Gov. Sarah Palin's family that the 19-year-old is a deadbeat dad. "I wish that Sarah Palin's father would get his facts correct, quite frankly," attorney Rex Butler said Wednesday.
Palin's father, Chuck Heath, claims in a story being published Friday in Us Weekly magazine that the unemployed Johnston isn't financially supporting the infant. He said he wishes Johnston would take some money from the interviews and buy diapers for Tripp.
Butler told The Associated Press that Johnston was not paid for the interviews and is tired of the Palin family's characterization of his client.
Heath was "trying to make the young man look like a deadbeat father, and, you know, they may have a rude awakening one day if he tries to get custody," Butler said.
"They don't want to share his child with him like they should," he said.
Palin family spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton responded in an e-mail to the AP by saying, "Bristol is focused on college, advocating abstinence and raising Tripp."
Here's some information about Rex Butler:
* Alaska, 1983
* U.S. District Court District of Alaska
* U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
* U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
* U.S. Supreme Court
* Howard University School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia, 1983
* University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Florida, 1977
* Florida Junior College, Jacksonville, Florida, 1975
Honors: Phi Theta Kappa
Honors: With Honors
* Adjunct Professor, University of Alaska Anchorage, 1990 - 2006
* Adjunct Professor, Anchorage Community College, 1985
* Teaching Assistant, Howard University School of Law, 1981 - 1983
Honors and Awards
* Who's Who in America
* Who's Who Among Practicing Attorneys
* Who's Who in American Law
* Who's Who in the West
* Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Service Award
* Major Tony Knowles, Public Service Award
* Anchorage Equal Rights Commission, Certificate of Appreciation
* Featured in Black Enterprise Magazine, October
* Outstanding Young Men of America
* Who's Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities
* Peer selected, Best Lawyers in America, 2007
* Diploma for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy
* Appointed Lawyer Representative, 9th Circuit
Past Employment Positions
* Rex Lamont Butler and Associates, Inc., P.C., 1985 - Present
* State of Alaska, Attorney General's Office, Assistant Attorney General, 1984 - 1985
* State of Alaska, Legislative Assistant, 1984
* Jesse Jackson for President Committee-Alaska, General Counsel, 1984
* M. Ashley Dickerson, Inc., Associate, 1983
* Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission, Law Clerk, 1982 - 1983
* United States Navy, Hospital Corpsman, 1969 - 1973
* Anchorage Telephone Utility Commission, 1985 - 1986
It looks like Levi Johnston has a much better qualified and respected attorney than Sarah Palin.
WAR is not qualified to shine Rex Butler's shoes.
Report from ADN
Rex Butler's webpage